Wish is Complete!

Wish is complete!

Wish is complete!

Today I decided to revamp the look of my blog, how do you like it? I think it’s fresher, and more my style than the orange theme.

Here is my most recent project, finished, except for a final coating of varnish. It is oil on 16×20 inch canvas – a lot smaller than the canvases I usually work with, so using tiny little brushes for the butterflies was different, but fun for me. It is for a beautiful little girl who just loves to blow dandelion seeds into the air when we go for walks, she closes her eyes and makes wishes. I think it’s one of the most adorable things I’ve ever seen. She is the inspiration for this painting! Hope you like it too. (Some months ago, I did a very similar painting on 4×3 foot canvas, but, understandably, it was too big for this little girl’s room!)

“Pensive” is complete!

Pensive

Pensive is now complete. Acrylic on 3×3 foot canvas. I admit, I had to get used to the quicker drying time of the acrylic paints, even when mixed with slow-DRI. I love the ease of cleanup with acrylic paints, and at the end of the day, I like that the painting is dry so quickly. I named this painting “pensive”, because the orchid looks so thoughtful…if you could call a plant thoughtful! The final step is to varnish it, and it will be ready for the show.

“Pensive” Phase 1

Pensive phase 1

Pensive phase 1

Here is a picture of the first stage of my next painting. It is on 3×3 foot canvas, and is #2 in my Cymbidium Orchid series, the first of which was “Funky Orchid”. I will be using acrylics for this painting (thanks Sarah Jane). I obtained some Liquitex Slow-DRI Blending Gel, as suggested by Sarah, and it worked like a dream! I didn’t use the heavy matte gel, mostly because it had a warning label on it that said it “contains a known carcinogen”. The label doesn’t disclose what this ingredient is, and I’ll have to do more research to find out what it is, unless someone would like to comment and let me know. Regardless, the slow-DRI works like a dream, the paint has a nice blendability to it, and according to package directions, you can add as much or as little as you want without diluting the paint color too much, or affecting binding. It feels a little different from oils, a bit more slick, and fast, like painting with (pardon this comparison) KY jelly. Over all, the effects were similar, although I can see the brush strokes more than with oils, even when I’ve run the blending brush over it, but that may be the way I paint. I feel the more visible brush strokes will add to this painting anyway, so I am very happy with the way it turned out. I will definitely be using acrylics more in the future! Stay tuned for Phase 2.

Funky Orchid is Complete!

Funky Orchid

Funky Orchid

Well, the contract for my paintings to be shown in a cafe is finally signed and delivered. Here is my newest painting for the display, my “Funky Orchid”, oil on 30×36 canvas. I thought I wanted it to look all soft and ethereal, but it turned out quite a bit more vibrant than I had planned, with sharper shadows and contrasts. I’m very happy with how funky it turned out! Hope you like it!

Funky Orchid Phase 1

Funky Orchid Phase 1

Funky Orchid Phase 1

Well, it’s another sick day, my kids caught the bug and are now resting at home with me, so while they recuperate quietly with games, naps, movies, healthy snacks and plenty of fluids, I decided to start on my next piece. I was going to make it funky with concentric circles a la the Percolator app, but I so love the natural beauty of flower petals that I think I’m going to leave to natural. Here it is pictured above, sketched out with the background painted in. I will keep you updated on its progress.